- The department has been offering M. Sc. (Applied Physics) since 1969 and M. Tech. (Optoelectronics) with specialization in Optical Communication since 1995.
- The laboratories in area of lasers, fiber optics, non linear optics, optical communication and nanotechnology are among the best in the country offering M.Tech programs.
- Research and Development labs have been developed for PhD programs.
- The department has been running a number of collaborative programs at national level with C.A.T., Indore, B.A.R.C., Mumbai, D.A.V.V.- Indore, IIT-Mumbai, IISc-Bangalore, etc.
- The international collaboration with the Institute of Physics, Humboldt University, Berlin (Germany) has been sponsored by DST , Govt. of India and DAAD, Germany, since 2003.
- Several research projects funded by DST, DAE, CSIR, AICTE, UGC, NPMASS, MPCOST, ICMR and DBT with a large number of full time research fellows are either completed or being conducted successfully in the department.
- In the last six years (2009-2017), 15 Ph.D. theses have been submitted in the area of Nonlinear optics and laser physics, semi-conductor Nanostructures. At present, six (06) students are pursuing their PhD from the department.
- The research group publishes large number of research papers in leading International Journals of USA, UK, Japan, Germany etc. .
- The PG Students are encouraged to take up their major project works at leading national institutes and RD organizations like IISc, IITs, CEERI-Pilani, CSIR - Chndigarh, DRDO, SMAEER-Mumbai.