- In addition to teaching Physics, Electrodynamics and Materials Science courses to Engineering students, the department has been offering M. Sc. (Applied Physics) since 1969 and M. Tech. (Optoelectronics) with specialization in Optical Communication since 1995. A new program M.Tech. (Quantum Computing) is approved by AICTE, New Delhi from the academi year 2022-23. These M.Tech. Programs are approved by and affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi Technological University, Bhopal.
- The laboratories in area of lasers, fiber optics, non linear optics, optical communication and nanotechnology are among the best in the country offering M.Tech programs. The M.Tech. program is accredited twice for 5 years (2007-2012 and 2013-2018)
- Research and Development labs have been developed for PhD programs.
- The department has been running a number of collaborative programs at national level with RRCAT, Indore, BARC, Mumbai, DAVV- Indore, IIT-Mumbai, IISc-Bangalore, etc.
- The international collaboration with the Institute of Physics, Humboldt University, Berlin (Germany) has been sponsored by DST , Govt. of India and DAAD, Germany, since 2003.
- Several research projects funded by DST, DAE, CSIR, AICTE, UGC, NPMASS, MPCOST, ICMR and DBT with a large number of full time research fellows are either completed or being conducted successfully in the department.
- In the last six years (2009-2017), 15 Ph.D. theses have been submitted in the area of Nonlinear optics and laser physics, semi-conductor Nanostructures. At present, six (06) students are pursuing their PhD from the department.
- The research group publishes large number of research papers in leading International Journals of USA, UK, Japan, Germany etc.
- The PG Students are encouraged to take up their major project works at leading national institutes and RD organizations like IISc, IITs, CEERI-Pilani, CSIR - Chandigarh, DRDO, SMAEER-Mumbai.
To generate experts in the areas of Photonics, and Applied Physics akin to the society with imparted training on human values and socio-economic upliftment of the country.
The department aspires to create world-class innovative technocrats skilled with modern scientific and technological needs of local and world empowered with the ethos of our country.